Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quicky Dinner Idea: Bow Tie Lasagna

I've felt exhausted all week... it could be all the renovations going on at our house (we came home from Thanksgiving weekend to find a substantial gaping hole in our ceiling - thank God for homeowners insurance), it could be the post-holiday adrenaline rush, or it could just be the winter blahs.

Whatever the reason, I find it so hard to motivate myself to cook when I'm that tired. So, it was the perfect week to try a recipe my pal Jes sent me via Pioneer Woman:

Bow Tie Lasagna (thanks, Jes!)

Of course, I felt the need to change a few things (because I just CAN'T leave a recipe alone!)... so here are the alterations:

1) Substitution for the hamburger:
- 1/2 pound of pork sausage
- 1/2 cup zucchini (chopped)
- 1/2 cup yellow squash (chopped)
- 1/3 cup carrots (finely chopped)
**Brown sausage first, then when almost cooked through add the vegetables - cover and let cook until carrots are tender but still firm. Drain and continue with original recipe

2) Reduce sour cream to 1/4 cup, and add an additional 1/2 cup of cottage cheese

Bonus: the veggies are in small bites so they were easier for the kids to eat, and you've got all of your food groups in one easy to prepare dish.

Few dishes + kids eating vegetables =
(insert picture of me doing the happy dance)


Oh, and speaking of happy dances.... Jason graduated from seminary!!

YAHOO!! Way to go, babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment