Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oh, Christmas wreath, Oh Christmas wreath...

Well, I finished my second official cake order last night: a cupcake Christmas wreath from Karen Tack and Alan Richardson's book "Hello, Cupcake!"


I was pretty pleased with the end result - I just hope my neighbor is too. The key to a realistic wreath? Chocolate coated mint leaves.




Yep, and it's surprisingly easy! Just melt candy wafers and paint with food grade, high quality paint brush onto fresh mint leaves.












Then let harden for a few minutes, and peel off mint leaves (they come off easily).

Add a few atomic fire balls for "holly" (the book recommends a kind of chocolate candy made by Cadbury, but I couldn't find them), and voila!

A few things I would probably change the next time: stick to mint leaves that are no longer than 1 1/2- 2 inches (I had a few mammoth ones 3-4 inches and they were too big). Also, the book recommends painting the top of the mint leaves, but I found that painting half of them on the underside allows for some of the leaves to be more textured or "veiny".

Karen Tack is my hero... a couple of my friends (thanks Rachel & Ang!) brought to my attention that more of her cupcake genius was featured on the cover of Taste of Home magazine.

Be sure to check it out - she has the how-tos of making beautiful blue poinsettia cupcakes and other adorable and DOABLE designs.

Have a very merry and bakeriffic Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment