Friday, December 12, 2008

Pioneer Woman, I salute you

As my first entry, I have nominated Pioneer Woman as the baker of honor. Her cinnamon roll recipe has forever changed Christmas in the Shaw household.

Behold, the majesty...


These babies are very rich, gooey, and should be savored slowly with a glass of milk. And maybe an insulin shot. But don't take MY word for it - try the recipe yourself. Yeast novices, have no fear: if you follow the instructions entirely, you will be just fine. Oh, and please note: the recipe makes seven pans of rolls. SEVEN. That's 49 cinnamon rolls. Be sure to have people on speed dial to give these babies away. If you can.

A couple of personal modifications:

1) I found that I did NOT use as much melted butter (1 1/2 - 2 CUPS) as PW suggests to cover the dough before sprinkling/rolling. It just pours off of the dough and makes a pool on the table, which eventually moves to the chair, then to the floor... you get the idea. Try starting with just ONE stick of butter and see if you need more to cover the entire dough surface.

2) For the icing: if you don't want to spend the money on maple flavoring, you can substitute maple syrup. I started with 1/4 cup syrup, tasted it, and then added a little at a time until I got the desired flavor. And the coffee does add a nice subtle taste, so don't skip it!

Happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. I am actually thinking about making some of these tomorrow...with the intention of giving them as little wrapped gifts for those who drop by to visit. Good thing I some yeast on hand!

    ReplyDelete