Thursday, January 28, 2010

Outback Bread

Okay, last night I had another epic bread making FAIL while trying to make Outback Steakhouse bushman bread. This is what it's supposed to look like:

Can't you just taste the slightly sweet, warm, pillowy softness?

Aaaaaaaand this is what I got:
Bland, hard, and only fit for propping the door open.
(Please note poised position above the trash can, where it now lies)

Okay, in defense of the recipe I've tried to make, I only was able to use half the called for amount of molasses (I ran out). When I usually make it, the taste is pretty good but it is still hard and has the darndest time rising to a nice fluffy loaf.

So I now pose a challenge: I am going to post three Outback Steakhouse recipes. The first is the original recipe that I have been trying to make work for three years but never seem to be able to cooperate for me (I am fully aware that it could be solely that I am still not a seasoned bread maker). The second is almost an identical recipe, but calls for more yeast. The third is a completely different recipe.

Now, my challenge to you is this: try your hand with at least ONE of these recipes and tell me what happens. Does it come out soft and tasty? Or is the recipe defunct? Did you do anything differently? Does rye flour need added gluten to rise properly? Do I need to hire a priest to exorcise the bread demons out of my oven?

Recipe #1:
http://www.bigoven.com/119219-Outback-Steakhouse-Bread-recipe.html

Recipe #2:
http://restaurantrecipesbook.com/outback-steakhouse-bushman-bread-recipe/

Recipe #3:
http://www.lickthespoon.org/?p=203

I await your responses, bread masters!

No comments:

Post a Comment